We are the hiking group within the residential community of Connestee Falls, located just outside Brevard, North Carolina. Our regular members range in age from late 40’s to early 80’s.
We provide a recreational resource to the community through the following activities:
- We lead guided hikes for residents and their guests. Visitors to our community are also welcome to join our published hikes.
- We maintain over 15 miles of hiking trails within Connestee Falls.
- We plan occasional activities such as picnics.
- We also go on unpublished hikes to scout new trails and determine their suitability for our guided hikes. Because we are hiking in unfamiliar areas, we do not publish these hikes, we do not invite visitors and guests, and we discourage participation by residents who are not in good physical condition.
- We publish photos of our hikes on this web site so that those who are unable to join us may still have the opportunity to enjoy the natural beauty that surrounds us here in Western North Carolina.
We hike in the following areas:
- Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area (SC)
- DuPont State Forest
- Gorges State Park
- Nantahala National Forest
- Pisgah National Forest
- Occasional Trips to Other Areas
Our hike distances range from 3-10 miles. The average is about 5 miles. Our hike elevation differentials range from flat to about 2,500 feet. The average is about 750 feet.
A description of how our published day hikes are rated is contained on our Hiking Hints page, along with other information worth reviewing before joining us on a hike.
Our hikes may involve travel to remote parts of the southern Appalachian mountains where medical assistance and phone service are not available. In some areas, evacuation in case of emergency can be challenging and time consuming (not to mention expensive). Therefore, visitors and guests, particularly those who are not regular hikers and/or not familiar with the mountains, should be aware that our activities involve a fair degree of personal risk for which each participant is personally responsible. We request that you start by joining us for hikes that are rated Easy or Moderate to see where your comfort level lies.
Information on the next upcoming published hike is shown on the “Upcoming Hikes” page on this website and also in our weekly community bulletin, the Friday Flyer. Here you can learn more about each specific hike, including where we plan to go and how we rate the hike.
We meet at the swimming pool parking lot at 9:00 (unless otherwise stated) each Tuesday morning and carpool to our destination.
Requests to be included on the hikers email list should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org